Against the backdrop of Christmas festivities and cheer, Age UK’s Winter Health campaign is particularly poignant. Age UK has provided an educational and emotional video campaign that teaches us about how older people are affected by cold weather and how we can support them.
Here’s what we learned from Age UK’s Winter Health Campaign:
- Each winter, 1 older person dies every 7 minutes from the cold weather.
- In fact, Age UK cites the statistic that for every degree colder it is, there are 5000 deaths associated with the 1°C change.
- The risk of death and ill health is associated with cold homes.
WHY older people are more affected by the cold:
Main reason: Older people find it much more difficult to maintain their body temperature in the winter.
- Older people have a lower muscle mass. From around the age of 55 onwards, you lose 1% muscle mass on average every year.
- Approximately 70-80% of our body’s ability to produce heat in the body to maintain our body temperature comes from the muscles.
- As the temperature falls, we need more energy to keep warm. But an older person’s capacity to do so reduces with age.
HOW older people are affected by the cold:
- Hypothermia is not the primary issue.
- More significantly, the cold worsens a range of other existing health conditions, including heart attacks, lung conditions, stroke, back pain, muscle pain and arthritis, and contributes to increased accidents at home.
There are many debilitating chronic issues that are prevelent amongst older people. These include:
- Mobility issues
- Chronic pain – back pain, joint pain, muscular pain, stomach pain and many more
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Weakened wrists and joints
- Loss of strength
Age UK advises us to make sure older people are warm this winter.
We believe the Noozie® Electric Hot Water Bottle is a great gift for older people for the winter months ahead.
- Reduced risk of accidents in the home.
By eliminating kettles and the filling process, Noozie electric hot water bottle reduces the risks of burns and scalds.
- Heating it is simple. Charge for 10-12 minutes.
No need to rely on anybody else to fill your hot water bottle for you.
- Our bottles reach a cosy maximum temperature of 65°C.
That means no more starting with a scorching hot water bottle.
- Our electric hot water bottles are rechargeable.
For people with mobility issues this can be invaluable.
Frequent users of heat pads for heat therapy would use electric heat pads for a variety of reasons including back pain, stomach pain, neck and shoulder pain, migraine, other chronic pain, arthritis pain, and TMJ. A rechargeable electric heat pad is ideal for frequent users.
- Water efficient.
No need to ever fill or refill!
- Energy efficient.
Used as a bed warmer, it is more energy efficient than an electric blanket. And it’s safer than an electric blanket, too, as it is used cordless.
- Independently accredited in the UK for pressure, leakage and electrical safety.
- Water based heat pads are often favoured as delivering a gentler and softer quality of heat than other heat pads.
For more information, please visit www.ageuk.org.uk/winterhealth, including how to spot signs of an older person at risk and the effects of fuel poverty.